Mixed week sees Robins climb

Two games this week have seen City take points off Charlton Athletic and Wigan athletic. A game under the lights versus the Addicks saw an interesting starting lineup.

  • 1Daniel Bentley
  • 29Ashley Williams
  • 32Pedro Pereira
  • 25Tommy Rowe
  • 23Taylor Moore
  • 42Han-Noah Massengo
  • 11Callum O’Dowda
  • 19Niclas Eliasson
  • 8Josh Brownhill
  • 14Andreas Weimann
  • 18Antoine Semenyo

The Robins started weakly and spurned some small chances in what was a scrappy and tight first half of few creative moments. The second half started far brighter however, and it was Charlton who scored the first goal of the evening. Kayal’s excellent through ball cut the Robins defence in two and Marcus Bonne beat Dan Bentley to the ball before sweeping passed him and burying from a tight angle. A smart substitution from Johsnon put Famara Diedhiou and new boy Rodri before the goal and they took full effect of their time on the pitch, with, just a few minutes after the goal, A ball accross the box missing Rodri, but being snuck in by Diedhiou with his head. After that, the Robins were on top, and had more and more chances to split the Charlton defence, before Famara Diedhiou was sent off for kicking out at a Charlton player who had stopped a possible counter attack. The momentum was still with City, however, and in the final few seconds of the game, substitute Kasey Palmer floated a beautiful ball to Brownhill who took it on his knee before powering it home.

After the game Lee Johnson told Bristol Radio:

“It’s an unbelievable feeling. I’m not sure if it trumps the Manchester United feeling (after beating them in the League Cup quarter-finals in 2017).

“Charlton are a good side and you can see why they’ve picked up a lot of results in the Championship.

“I knew I was going to get the howls when I made the sub (Diedhiou for Niclas Eliasson) because I understood that it wouldn’t have looked like it made sense. I wanted to match them with a diamond and get width from our full-backs. I’m so pleased of the quality and the bravery to keep playing in the second half.”


The Robins welcomed Wigan on Sunday to the gate after the whirlwind of the Charlton game. Famara Diedhiou’s three game suspension meant Rodri was given a first start. If all three points were taken, the Robins would move up to second in the table.

A bright positive start to the game, gave both sides a couple of chances. It looked like a 0-0 at half time, before Andi Weimman turned in Tommy Rowe’s firm pass. A contented first half performance saw the Robins clapped off after the first 45. It was Wigan, despite this, who started with more attacking intent. Before Chey Dunkley rose highest from a corner to equalise. The centre back got a second from another set piece beating Nathan Baker, and putting the Latics 2-1 up. The Robins struggled to break down Paul Cooks’ defence, and had to wait until 88th minute to make it 2-2. Pedro Pereira turning in a corner.

After the game Lee Johnson told Bristol Radio:

“With 30 minutes to go I couldn’t see it. I didn’t think we had enough about us today. There just wasn’t enough spark.

“I was quite pleased with the last 15 minutes because again we showed our fitness, we showed our energy and probably a bit of guts to get an equaliser when we may not have deserved it.

“The fans will naturally be frustrated because we had the chance to go second and I appreciate that, so I apologise.”

1 thought on “Mixed week sees Robins climb

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create your website with WordPress.com
Get started
%d bloggers like this:
search previous next tag category expand menu location phone mail time cart zoom edit close